For several years, coconut oil has been considered as a superfood and gained a status as one of the best natural ingredient to maintain a healthy skin. But what makes it so special? Well, for starters, coconut oil has a high-fat content which experts say is a good fat. Aside from that, it has several nutrients and characteristics that proves to be beneficial to the health of your heart, skin, and more. Another good thing about coconut oil is that you do not necessarily have to consume it to get these amazing benefits. You can directly apply it on your hair or skin just like lotions and oils to experience its magic. That is why aside from being a superfood, it is also a super ingredient when it comes to skin and hair care products.
Coconut Oil for Cooking and Eating
- Coconut oil is perfect for cooking at high heat – Some cooking oils tend to have that burnt smell when you use them to cook at high heat. That is why if you know you’re going to fry some chicken or pork and use the cooking oil for a long time at high temperature, it is best to use some coconut oil to avoid having that burnt smell on your food.
- You can add coconut oil to your smoothie or coffee – Adding one tablespoon of coconut oil to your daily smoothie recipe or in your cup of coffee every morning can help boost your energy.
- Use it in salad dressings – A simple salad dressing can be made tastier and healthier with a dash of coconut oil.
Coconut oil is known to be rich in good cholesterol which helps enhance your heart health, hence reducing the risk of developing a heart disease. Coconut oil also contains medium-chain triglycerides or MCT which is good for your brain health. MCTs helps reduce the risk of brain related illness such as dementia, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s.
This is why consuming coconut oil or making it part of your daily diet can help improve your health. In fact, experts say that coconut oil is healthier and better than vegetable oil or olive oil because it’s thermally stable, which means that its health benefits are not lost even if it’s heated. It can be a great grilling oil as well for gas grilling, charcoal grilling or even a charcoal and gas grill combo.
Coconut Oil for Skin Care and Protection
Coconut oil has sun-protecting abilities that is equivalent to an SPF 7. Aside from that, it can also help block about 20 percent of the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a natural skin moisturizer which helps improve and soothe dry skin. You can use coconut oil as a lotion, body scrub, or body oil to attain its moisturizing benefits.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a lip balm because of its solid and moisturizing consistency. It is a natural way to protect and moisturize your lips.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a massage oil. You can mix it with other essential oils such as peppermint or lavender and apply it with some pressure over tensed muscles. This mixture can help soothe, heal, and relax the tensed muscles.
- Because coconut oil has antifungal properties, it can also be used as an alternative to cuticle oil. It helps heal cracked and peeling nails or cuticles. It helps your nails grow quickly in a healthy and safe way.
- Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial and antifungal, that is why it is a perfect product for your hair. You can use coconut oil as a substitute for your conditioner or hair mask. Coconut oil helps moisturize your scalp and hair, reduce dandruff, stimulate hair growth and control frizz.
- Because of its moisturizing abilities, you can also rub coconut oil all over your stomach during and after pregnancy to help prevent stretch marks.
- Coconut oil’s antibacterial properties makes it an excellent natural deodorant. You can use it on its own or you can mix it with other essential oils or baking soda for more effective results.
There are many benefits to coconuts for sure. You can even grow and harvest your own coconut trees as well.