TODAY I WOKE UP THINKING ABOUT
FEAR and I wondered what I would do if I wasnt afraid. You know the kind of question Im talking about a true Tony Robbins kind of question.
What would you do if you werent afraid? I asked this question of my friends on Facebook not so long ago and today it was still on my mind. Lesli, what would YOU DO if you werent afraid?
Go ahead, ask yourself that question in the still quietness of your morning and see what comes to your mind. For me, I hate to admit it, the list was long. Thats a hard thing to admit because I dont see myself as a fearful person. OK, I have all the ordinary fears jumping out of a plane, roller coasters, scary movies, etc. But in the cool quietness of my morning, I had to admit to myself that because of fear there are some key areas of my life where Ive taken myself out of the game; quietly benched myself; put my talents on the shelf; put the proverbial bushel over my light.
Remember in the movie Dirty Dancing, where Patrick Swayzes character said nobody puts Baby in a corner? Well, nobody had to put me in a corner. I put myself there. Quietly. Unobtrusively. Safely.
Behind the excuses, laziness, procrastination, practicality, realism, and other guises lies the fear that keeps me safe ahem I mean holds me back. I am afraid of being disappointed. Call it the fear of dashed hopes. Call it the fear of having my dreams turn to ashes. Call it the fear of failure.
What? Fear of failure? That cant be it. I rallied to myself! Im NOT afraid of failing! Who on earth could be afraid of failing. Without failure, theres rarely success. Dont we all want success? Me too! Me too!
Fear of failing! How ridiculous! Or was it?
- If I fail, people might mock me.
- If I fail, I might be embarrassed.
- If I fail, people would see my imperfections (God knows I try to keep those well hidden).
- If I fail, I might get hurt, disappointed, discouraged.
- If I fail, __________ well you can imagine how many more blanks I could fill in.
FEAR. What WOULD I do if I wasnt afraid of failure?
If I wasnt afraid, could I be my true, authentic, glorious self? Could I strip away the masks, burn the costumes, tear down the facades, discover the real root emotions that make me do what I do? And not do what I dont do?
If I could learn how to deal with disappointments, if I could learn to lose without being defeated, would I dare to step out of my safe corner?
ITS TIME TO FACE MY FEARS HEAD ON!
Easier said than done, I suspect, but I say screw fear!!!!! Seriously!
- Im the girl who walked across a 25 bed of hot burning coals at a Tony Robbins Breakthrough weekend! If Id acted on my fear, I would have been burned.
- Im the girl who walked across an equally long bed of broken glass at a Marshall Sylver event. If Id acted on my fear I would have been cut.
- Im the girl who bent a 5 long piece of rebar (you know, the steel bar thats used to increase the strength of concrete) using nothing but the clavicle of my neck against the clavicle of my sister, Karens neck. If Id acted on my fear, I could have severed my windpipe or hers.
- Im the girl who has broken wood planks using nothing but my bare hands. If Id acted on my fear, I could have broken my hand.
- Im the girl who swam with the sharks WITHOUT a shark cage! OK, that might have been stupid, but I did it!
AND Im the girl who took myself out of the game.
Its time to start believing in myself completely! It will be a project. I suspect it wont happen overnight just because I say screw fear. But it CAN happen if I put my big girl panties back on and use the same tenacity and faith that I used to get myself to do all those daring things I just told you about.
The Bible says, God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind (2 Tim. 1:) That means when I surrender to fear, I can be sure the fear did not come from God. God does not give us the spirit of fear. God gives us the spirit of power and love and a sound mind.
Im reading a great book called Hours of Power by Robert Schuller, and in it he says
If you will learn how to be disappointed without being discouraged, you need never be defeated. Youll never experience final failure. You will set higher goals. You will try again. When you realize that the worst that can happen is that you may have to face disappointment, then you will be transformed from a doubter to a believer, from a negative thinker to a positive thinker.
Todays post was a long ramble about whats been on my mind. I see a life changing shift directly in my future. This blog and the honesty it will take is one thing I would do if I wasnt afraid! I gotta admit its scary! What if you dont like seeing all the broken parts in me? The things only God can heal.
What if I fail on a great big public stage? What if I have to pick myself up dust myself off and start all over again?
Or what if it all goes right! What if I find genuine friends who want to be on this weight loss journey with me? What if I meet amazing women who can see all my brokenness and love me anyway? What if I can help them too? What if this is what God called me to do? What if I wasnt afraid?
I dont know, but I do know I was created for greatness and so were you! Lets say screw fear and live to the full extent of ALL that we were created to be! Healthy, loving, vibrant reflections of grace, for starters.
Thanks for letting me share my heart today
LIVING WITH AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE IS A POWERFUL THING. FIVE THINGS IM GRATEFUL FOR TODAY
- A blog where I can express myself.
- An opportunity to live life on my terms in any given moment.
- Friends who love me through my failures and pick me back up.
- The knowledge that God is my king of kings and He has not given me a spirit of fear.
SO WHAT ABOUT YOU?
What would you do if you werent afraid? If youre feeling brave, leave a comment and share your heart.
My hope for you today May you fall in love with your beauty, grace, honor, courage and strength.
Heres to Peace, Love, and Moving Though the Fear!