This simple 3 Bean Vegetarian Chili recipe is the perfect recipe to prepare when youre cooking for people who like a lot of flavor, but not so much spicy heat. I love things hot and spicy, but my sister is just the opposite, so this is a recipe she loves and I can still enjoy.
If youre like me, and you like things spicier, this is an easily adjusted recipe. What are your favorite spicy flavors? When Im making this just for me, I add an entire smoked chipotle pepper chopped up and sauteed with the onions, peppers and garlic. Alternatively you could increase the chili powder, or add some cayenne pepper.
Did you know spicy foods have capsaicin in them so it increases your metabolic rate! Yeah to spicy food!
This chili is very tasty, but not particularly spicy, so Im not sure why I mentioned that little tidbit LOL. This one is for you mild lovers and those who love them!
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Calories: 257 (9% of calories from fat) ♥ Fat: 2.7 g ♥ Weight Watchers: 5 pts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.