Yield 2 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Bring broth and clam juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice and saffron to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice to pan; cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup hot broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 18 minutes total).
3. Stir in tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. Stir in shrimp and scallops; cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp and scallops are done, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cream. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Note: The recipe says it takes about 18 minutes for the liquid to be absorbed. I found it took closer to 35 minutes . When I read the reviews, I noticed that several others had the same experience. No matter, its worth the wait!
- Calories: 400 (23% from fat)
- Fat: 10.1g (sat 4.9g,mono 2.6g,poly 1.1g)
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 49.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Calcium: 89mg